We’re now half way through the Global Corporate Challenge (two months left to go!), and the three Iridia teams (Blue Steel, Red Striding Hoods and Gold Karats) are still going strong.
The GCC is an online program that engages people in getting more active. The goal is for every participant to work up to 10,000 steps a day – learn more and check out our first GCC blog.
As of July 25th, we have a combined step count of 21,353,158 – or the equivalent of walking around the world .34 times. To honour everyone’s hard work and dedication we decided to host a “mid-point” celebration.
The Mid-Point Celebration
The idea was to put together a GCC themed event that would be loads of fun, incorporate our values, and of course, be “step heavy.” The result – an Iridia scavenger hunt to celebrate our accomplishments to date.
After hammering out the details, we created five new teams, each represented by a member from our three GCC teams. The event would be timed (1 hour or about 4.5k). Prizes would be handed out for teams accumulating the most points. And of course we had to create a set of rules to follow – because a scavenger hunt without rules can only lead to one thing: chaos.
- The event starts and ends at the Iridia office
- Teams must leave and return together, and complete all the items on their clue sheets to be eligible for awards
- All participants must note their start and end step counts
- Teams must bring a camera for “evidence”
- All teams will have the option of completing additional activities for bonus points
- Teams taking more than 60 minutes to return will forfeit 50% of any bonus points earned
- Greatest distance from our office
- Reach the highest floor of a building
- Collect the most business cards
- Most AEDs found
- Most people on a bicycle
- Most Bonus Points Earned
- Best Dressed Team
- Highest Step Rate
- Best Iridia Values Photo Contribution (snap a photo of anything, anyone or anywhere that reflects Iridia’s values)
- Greatest Distance From Office
- First Team Home – Nancy, Nick C and Beverly
- Highest Step Average – Allan, Shannon and Steve, a rate of 340 steps per minute
- Greatest Distance From the Office – Vern, Lexi and Diana, with 17 513 steps
- Most Bonus Points Earned – Tom, Janine and Nick K, with 39 points earned from an incredible 30 business cards collected and an impressive 15 storey adventure!
- Best Dressed Team – Allan, Shannon and Steve
- Best Iridia Core Values Photo – Melissa, Julie and Derek, who snapped images of all 8 values
- Total distance covered by all teams – 49km
- Average distance covered – 5103 steps, or over 3km per person
- AEDs spotted in the wild – 3
- Most people on a bike – 5
- Total business cards collected – 106
With the event wrapped up – it’s fair to say the scavenger hunt was a huge success; we had many laughs, lots of great memories and of course we all surpassed the GCC 10,000 steps-per-day goal!