Iridia Medical is an advocate for healthy living. We believe positive choices can be made to enhance physical and mental health. As such, we encourage all of our employees to implement a healthy living plan that works to fit their unique lifestyles.
No surprise, (to me anyway) it looks like Iridia is not alone. According to a 2011 Stats Canada Community Health Survey, British Columbia families are leading the way in healthy living.
The Community Health report card ranks BC at or near the top on most indicators measured.
Healthy Lifestyle Highlights:
- British Columbian adults have the lowest rates of self-reported obesity or overweight in the country, at 46.6 per cent.
- Physical activity rates for those 12 and older are the highest among the provinces, at 59.6 per cent.
- Smoking rates are the lowest in the country, at 15.8 per cent.
- British Columbian families rank third among all Canadian jurisdictions in fruit and vegetable consumption, with 40.7 per cent of those 12 and older consuming fruit or vegetables five or more times per day.
- British Columbia continues to increase its ranking of self-perceived health for those over 12 years of age, moving from fourth to second in the country (along with Newfoundland and Labrador) with 60.9 per cent of respondents reporting very good to excellent overall health.
Minister of Health Michael de Jong
“Once again, British Columbians have shown that they are among the healthiest in the country – something each of us can be proud of. However, prevention is the best medicine, and if we want to continue to reduce the burden of chronic disease and illness on our health system and our lives, we are going to need to keep striving for improvement.”
“Through initiatives like Healthy Families BC, our comprehensive smoking cessation program and our formal partnership with ParticipACTION to promote physical activity, we are committed to helping British Columbians get and stay healthy.”
Healthy Lifestyles – Quick Facts:
- B.C. is the first province in Canada to partner with ParticipACTION
- Evidence shows that individuals, who are physically active, achieve and maintain a healthy body weight, enjoy a healthy diet and refrain from smoking, can reduce their risk factors for most chronic diseases by up to 80 per cent.
- Obesity rates in children have almost tripled in the last 25 years.
- In British Columbia, 51,000 children (seven per cent) aged 2-17 years were classified as obese About 2,000 British Columbians die prematurely every year due to obesity-related illnesses, such as heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes.
- 138,500 (20 per cent) as overweight.
Healthy Living Activities at Iridia
To embrace healthy lifestyle choices, staff at Iridia participate in a variety of healthy activities. One such activity was our 90-day fitness challenge led by Innovative Fitness. Read more on the challenge here: IF Challenge.
Members of our staff also recently participated in the Walk to Fight Arthritis.
Many of our staff are also are avid bikers and brave temperamental Vancouver weather on two wheels. But it’s not just biking. You may even see Iridia staff members kayaking down rivers, surfing the ocean, playing squash, skiing, snowboarding, running, rock climbing, …the list could go on, but you get the idea.
With the help of Iridia, each of us in our own way has embraced a work/life balance that allows us to shine in all that we do.
For resources to support healthy eating, healthy lifestyles and healthy communities, visit: www.healthyfamiliesbc.ca